The Legislature has provided funding for 1200 participants in 2014:
Please help us spread the word about this program by sharing the attached flyer.
Thank you for your interest in the K.I.D.S. program! You are taking an important step in securing your children's dreams of an education beyond high school. We are now accepting 2014 applications for the Kansas Investments Developing Scholars Matching Grant Program (K.I.D.S.). To receive the matching grant you must submit a K.I.D.S. Match Grant Program Application before December 31, 2014 and contribute to a Learning Quest account before December 31, 2014.
Click here to download a K.I.D.S. 2014 application. If you don’t already have a Learning Quest account, you also need to open an account online at www.learningquest.com or download an account application. Please remember that we process applications on a first come-first served basis, so it's best to get yours in as soon as possible after you have completed your 2013 income tax return. Remember that if you participated in K.I.D.S. in 2013 and you want to continue, you must reapply this year.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the office at 1-866-504-5898.
Kansas State Treasurer
About the K.I.D.S. Program
Want to start planning for your child's education? Let us help you! K.I.D.S. - A Matching Grant Program.
- K.I.D.S. matching grant program will match the first $600 that you contribute this year to a Learning Quest 529 Education Savings account.
- The K.I.D.S. Matching Grant Program application and contributions to your account must be postmarked by December 31, 2014.
- K.I.D.S. is a program developed specifically for Kansas residents with income less than 200% of the federal poverty level.
- K.I.D.S. uses the Learning Quest 529 Education Savings Program to invest your deposits and the state's matching grant.
- Applications are limited to 1200 per year and are processed on a first-come first-served basis.
- K.I.D.S. participants must also open a Learning Quest 529 Education Savings Plan Account. An account can be opened with either an initial investment of at least $25 or by signing up for an automatic monthly investment of at least $25 through a payroll deduction or from a bank account. Visit http://www.LearningQuest.com to learn more about opening a Learning Quest Account.
- To receive matching grant funds, participants must contribute at least $100 this year by December 31, 2014
- In January of next year, the State Treasurer's office will review the 2014 contributions to eligible accounts and deposit the matching grant funds into accounts for eligible participants.
- Participants must reapply each year to determine eligibility.
- You can receive one $600 matching grant for each beneficiary that you enroll in the program, and the matching grant funds must be spent for that beneficiary's qualified higher education expenses.
- Qualified higher education expenses include books, fees and tuition paid to an eligible community or technical college or a university, and room and board if the student is at least a one half time student.
- No need to submit your income tax return. Just fill in the Federal Adjusted Gross Income for all members of your household for 2013 and we'll confirm it with the Kansas Department of Revenue.
- You must list all members of your household who are related by marriage or birth on your application, even those without income.
More Information About the Program
Use the links provided below to download more information (Acrobat PDFs):
Are You Eligible?
Account Owners must be Kansas residents and total Federal Adjusted Gross Income for all members of the account owner's household must be less than the amounts listed in the chart below.
Members of your household include all persons related by marriage or birth who share a residence.
2013 K.I.D.S. Income Limits
|For each additional person, add
Tell Your Friends and Family About This Great Program
We want to encourage people to share this wonderful program with other Kansans that may need assistance saving for their child's education. Down load a flyer here.
For questions about the K.I.D.S Program or to request additional information please contact us at:
785-296-3171 or toll free at 866-504-5898
Email us at: LQ@treasurer.ks.gov