Thank you for your interest in the K.I.D.S. program! We are not taking 2015 applications for the program until the Kansas Legislative session ends in May. The Governor’s budget recommendation this year included funding for 1200 matching grants of up to $600. However, nothing is final until the Legislature completes its budget process. We will continue to post information about the legislative budget process on this website, and if funding is secured we will post an application here.
To be eligible in 2015, your 2014 Federal Adjusted Gross Income must be less than the amounts in the chart below and you must open a Learning Quest Account. If you don’t already have a Learning Quest account, you can get started by opening an account online at www.learningquest.com or download an account application. It only takes $25 to get started.
Kansas State Treasurer
About the K.I.D.S. Program
Want to start planning for your child's education? Let us help you! K.I.D.S. - A Matching Grant Program.
- K.I.D.S. matching grant program will match the first $600 that you contribute this year to a Learning Quest 529 Education Savings account.
- The K.I.D.S. Matching Grant Program application and contributions to your account must be postmarked by December 31, 2015
- Participants must reapply each year to determine eligibility.
- K.I.D.S. is a program developed specifically for Kansas residents with income less than 200% of the federal poverty level.
- K.I.D.S. uses the Learning Quest 529 Education Savings Program to invest your deposits and the state's matching grant.
- Applications are limited to 1200 per year and are processed on a first-come first-served basis.
- K.I.D.S. participants must also open a Learning Quest 529 Education Savings Plan Account. An account can be opened with either an initial investment of at least $25 or by signing up for an automatic monthly investment of at least $25 through a payroll deduction or from a bank account. Visit http://www.LearningQuest.com to learn more about opening a Learning Quest Account.
- To receive matching grant funds, participants must contribute at least $100 this year by December 31, 2015.
- In January of next year, the State Treasurer's office will review the 2015 contributions to eligible accounts and deposit the matching grant funds into accounts for eligible participants.
- You can receive one $600 matching grant for each beneficiary that you enroll in the program, and the matching grant funds must be spent for that beneficiary's qualified higher education expenses.
- No need to submit your income tax return this year. Just fill in the Federal Adjusted Gross Income for all members of your household for 2014 and we'll confirm it with the Kansas Department of Revenue.
- You must list all members of your household on your application, even those without income.
More Information About the Program
Use the links provided below to download more information (Acrobat PDFs):
Are You Eligible?
Account Owners must be Kansas residents and total Federal Adjusted Gross Income for all members of the account owner's household must be less than the amounts listed in the chart below.
Members of your household include all persons related by marriage or birth who share a residence.
2015 K.I.D.S. Income Limits
|For each additional person, add
For questions about the K.I.D.S Program or to request additional information please contact us at:
785-296-3171 or toll free at 866-504-5898
Email us at: LQ@treasurer.ks.gov